Abveris is Boston's premier antibody discovery company providing contract research services to the biopharma industry. Abveris applies advanced immunization methods combined with B cell screening and hybridoma-based antibody discovery technologies to provide comprehensive gene-to-antibody discovery services. Abveris is developing the next generation of biologics, cell therapies, vaccines, and diagnostics in partnership with global leaders in biopharma.
Abveris is a division of Twist Bioscience that prides itself in integrity, teamwork, drive, innovation, and our partner’s successes in biologics development. We provide our hard-working team with a generous vacation policy, a matching retirement plan, and free lunch every day.
We are seeking an experienced Animal Care Technician to join our vivarium as we grow into a world-class facility. This role requires a passion for animal welfare, dedication to providing clean living spaces, and flexibility in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. You will function as part of a team, and your expertise will be valued. Abveris has a strong commitment to the ethical use and treatment of animals in research, and applicants must share this value.
This salaried full time position requires work on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with flexible hours (dayshift). Additional selected weekday hours will be from 10am-6pm.
- Perform daily mouse husbandry (cage, enrichment, food, and water changes)
- Perform sanitation of equipment and facility (note: disposable cages)
- Perform daily health and welfare observations
- Maintain inventory of food, bedding, and medical supplies
- Maintain husbandry and facility records
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace
- Assist in breeding operations (sexing, weaning, genotyping, ear marking)
- Adhere to Standard Operating Procedures
- Cross-train to provide coverage for other vivarium roles when needed (injections, blood collection, tissue harvests)
- Follow Institutional, local, state, and federal regulations, policies, and procedures to ensure proper animal care, health, and welfare
- Other duties as assigned
- Proficiency in verbal and written English required
- 2+ years of lab animal or veterinary experience required
- Experience in an AAALAC accredited facility preferred
- AALAS certification at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level (ALAT) preferred, or willingness to attain ALAT during first 12 months of employment
- Approved Veterinary Assistants (AVA) welcome
- Lift 40lbs
- Walk and stand for several hours per day
- Perform repetitive motions (bend, squat, kneel, twist, reach above shoulder height)
- Perform quick, simple grasping motion with both hands for several hours per day
- Wear full Personal Protective Equipment for several hours per day (N95 respirator, hearing protection, coveralls, gloves)